I took some selfies today without really planning it. As of late, I’ve been feeling more comfortable with myself. There’s the constant movement of oscillating between being really into myself and dressing and styling myself as resistance on one end and feeling extremely uncomfortable with my visibility as a fat person and knowing that my appearance and therefore character are always up for judgment.
Well, there’s also the middle space in which I feel a bit of both. Mildly uncomfortable in my high waisted shorts that show the fullness of my thighs and crop tops that refuse conceal rolls on my stomach, I try and fight restrictive body policing that made me think that cute clothes were only for thin people.
But today, despite wearing my work uniform whilst all my coworkers wore jeans and a t shirt, I felt good about myself. I wanted to celebrate my own body, I guess, by taking photos to see how differently it looks from various angles. I wanted to see how my face changed while playing with different emotions. I just wanted to look at myself and appreciate the body I have.
I wrote “Fat Vanity” across this because I will proudly revel in my own…presence. Eurocentric ideals of beauty be damned because I’m fucking awesome. The thin body ideal can take a backseat. This face, body, my everything is exactly as it should be.
Robert Saylor, a 26-year-old man with Down syndrome, sat in a movie theatre after having watched a movie, acting as if he was going to sit through the movie again without buying another ticket.
That prompted three police officers to kill him.
Friday, a grand jury determined that no crime was committed, even though his death was ruled a homicide.
He was suffocated as three officers struggled to handcuff him and drag him out of the theater. A movie ticket probably costs $11.
The court system is corrupt.
I seriously do not want to live in this world anymore.
And what crime did he commit??? How is it that death is warranted when all he did was not purchase another movie ticket for the next screening?
Tweeted by @suZen:
Why not just call it Call No Attention To Yourself You Fat-Ass Cow Grey and have done with it?
This hurts my feelings. :/
i already hate shopping for clothes, now this? but nah, we’re not discriminated against or anything. never happens.
Oh man, I looked it up. It’s real.
I love manatees but seriously FUCK. THIS.
ARE YOU FOR REAL. and I know they chose manatee to be insulting because why else would they choose to reference rotund sea creatures for only their plus size dress?
however I will say it’s refreshing to see that the plus size dress is 3 dollars cheaper than the straight size one.
My question tweeted to target.
@target What exactly is the difference between “manatee grey” and “heathered grey”? Is the Manatee grey waterproof?— Shannon (@Weebeasty)
The fuck Target? Once clothing comes in plus sizes it is high time to ridicule fat folks for daring to dress according to their choices. I mean, honestly, the fuck is the point of this?!?
- SO MUCH MISOGYNY in his music
- Thinks rape jokes are fine and hilarious: “I think it’s odd that you can’t joke about rape, when people joke about murder all the time. A lot more people are dying than getting raped. I think it’s a comedian’s job to make everything funny. Nothing is off-limits.”
- His sketch “Bro Rape”, starring him as the rapist
- “My sister has mental problems, but I use the word ‘r****d’ in my comedy. Do I love her any less? Would I go up to a mental ward and say: ‘You’re idiots’? No. I would never do that, but sometimes saying r****d is funny, it’s a release.”
- “I know people are right to complain, but those kids who say ‘m**g’ or ‘r****d’ won’t stop saying it, just because a comedian does.”
- He consistently fetishizes Asian women
- Lyrics linking Virginia Tech massacre to Asian people as a whole
- I don’t even want to begin to unpack his role on Girls (see the Lena Dunham YFIP post here), but luckily Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was kind enough to do it for us
- “Sometimes I just want to be seen as a sex object. I’m sure girls feel that way too.”
- Says “f****t” a whole lot (this video is one example, but he also does it a lot in his music)
- Has a joke entitled “Fighting a Midget”, which starts with him saying, “I got on the subway, and this little person came on the train. Are there any little people in the audience? No? Good, I’ll say midget”
- “I’d much rather have AIDS than a baby… They’re not that different, you guys… They’re both expensive. You have them for the rest of your life. They’re constant reminders of the mistakes you’ve made. And once you have them, you pretty much can only date other people who have them. What’s the difference?”
- Some real weird internalized racism: “I was having sex with this girl. And we were towards the end. And she goes, “Fuck me hard with that [n-word] dick.” And I stop… look at her right in the eye… and I came harder that I ever cum before. It was so awesome, you guys… It was almost worth being black my entire life”
- Enforcing the fake geek-girl stereotype. When asked what Childish Gambino groupies are like, he responded: “Pretty girls who try to be geeks but obviously aren’t. [adopts hipster tone] “Oh, I wear glasses and my hair is in a pigtail.” You’re hot! You’re not fooling me! There are no lenses in those glasses! But it’s awesome.”
- “I have an obsession with books about kids with Asperger’s syndrome. I like the way they think - it suits me. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon is great. That and [Jonathan Safran Foer’s] Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - they’re on a separate bookshelf. They don’t understand what the other books are saying by their facial expressions, but they’re perfectly lined-up.”
- “Filipinos [are the] black girls of Asians” (remember that he says he dislikes black girls)
- “I’m blowin’ up like my swagger on the Gaza/I’m writing movies/where I’m making out with Aubrey Plaza/And homegirl my homegirl, it is not like that/But if she tried to rape me, I would not fight back”
- “I guess for a dude it’s never gonna be totally awful. You can’t really get raped unless it’s by a dude. If a girl forces sex on you it’s like, yeah, it was awful…but I had sex! I wasn’t in the mood…but I was hard.”
Is there more? Let me know! I don’t watch his standup, but I’m sure there’s a lot more problematic shit in there
And this is why Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) is, well, god awful. I can’t even go into why I can’t stand him. All this shit that he’s done has been atrocious.
- Kanye West
- Nicki Minaj
- 50 Cent
- Lil B
- A$AP Rocky
- Fat Joe
- Queen Latifah
Please stop fucking acting like Macklemore is this special snowflake for being a rapper who supports gay marriage. I know yall love to pretend that black people are homophobes, so obviously the music we make must be homophobic, but that is bullshit and Wacklemore is not the first rapper to publicly support gay marriage.
can you Mackelnot
Please Macklenot. Also, Queen Latifah is queer. There is more celebration for a white straight man for being in support of LGBTQ+ people than a queer person of color. That doesn’t look right.
Please reblog this!! I need to follow all of you beautiful people.